The growing influence of Veganism on our industry
Mohammed Essa, Commercial Director, Aviko UK and Ireland told us how he sees this trend developing in the coming years
Veganism has gone mainstream and the meat-free market is now worth over £780 million,** providing a massive profit opportunity for operators. The arrival of Aviko’s handmade 1/4 & 1/2 Potato Skins provide the perfect platform to try out plant-based flavour combinations and increase the appeal of menus amongst flexitarians, vegetarians and vegans.
To inspire operators in choosing their toppings, Aviko has created a host of innovative recipes including Superfood Greens, Firecracker Peppers, Slow-Cooked Four Bean Chilli and Curried Chickpeas & Spinach. These can be viewed at www.aviko.co.uk along with step-by-step video tutorials.
Made from British grown baking potatoes with a higher natural sugar content to provide a superior taste, Aviko’s Potato Skins can be both fried or oven-cooked, maintaining a crispy outer texture even when loaded.
Loaded Vegan guacamole Potato Skins
• 12 x 1/2 Potato Skins
• 2 ripe avocados
• 1 lime
• 1/4 cup red onion, diced
• 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
• 1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
• 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Begin by mashing the avocado flesh in a bowl. Simply stir in the remaining ingredients until everything is nicely combined, load into the cooked potato skins and serve.
Curried Chickpea & Spinach Loaded Skins
Ingredients (Serves 4)
• 2 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 5cm piece root ginger, peeled and grated
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 2 tbsp madras curry paste
• 200ml vegetable stock
• 1 (400g) can chickpeas, drained
• 150g baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
• 1 tbsp mango chutney
• Squeeze of lemon juice
• Salt and pepper
• 12 x 1/2 potato skins
• To serve: crispy onions and chopped coriander
1. Heat oil in a medium pan, add onions and sauté for six minutes until soft and golden. Add the ginger, garlic and curry paste and cook for one minute.
2. Add the stock and chickpeas and season well. Bring to the boil, then simmer uncovered for 15 minutes or until thickened.
3. Add the spinach leaves and stir well until wilted. Add the mango chutney, then add lemon juice and season to taste.
4. Cook the potatoes according to pack instructions. Spoon the mixture into the half potato skins - allowing three per person. Finish with crispy onions and chopped fresh coriander.
* Waitrose Partners Food & Drink Report 2018-19 **Mintel Nov 2018
For more product information on Aviko’s extensive range call 0800 633 5611 or visit www.aviko.co.uk
For everything Aviko visit: www.twitter.com/avikouk