Americana teams up with DJ BBQ to reveal NEW research into the latest American burger trends
Americana teams up with DJ BBQ to reveal NEW research into the latest American burger trends inspiring the UK burger scene that operators need to act on to boost profits
• The consumer research has inspired an exclusive new recipe collection curated by the presenter, chef and grill-master, in partnership with Americana, for operators to use when premiumising burger menus. DJ BBQ’s recipes allow outlets to take customers on a tasty trip, from California to Massachusetts, and Oklahoma to Florida via Tennessee.
• American trends are inspiring the UK burger market. New Research from Americana reveals the latest and hottest trends and brand new recipes to inspire menus.
With an uncertain year ahead for pubs and restaurants, operators are looking to remain competitive with their menu offerings, to attract customers and drive profit. New research from Lantmännen Unibake UK’s Americana brand found that infusing a British burger with American flavours is a growing trend, with 90% of consumers preferring an American-inspired burger, and 62% believing that the influence of American burger trends significantly improves a menu.
This suggests that premiumising a classic burger offering with a gourmet bun and on-trend American-inspired, quality ingredients may be the key to unlocking sales in 2023.
The opportunity for operators is to update their burger menus by trading up to flavours inspired by American classics, thereby offering something fresh, different, and in line with consumer demand. This will positively influence the bottom line, with 41% of consumers claiming they would pay £10-£14.99 for a burger with an American twist, and an additional 24% stating they would pay up to £19.99.
To make it easier for operator to utilise American burger trends, Americana has teamed up with BBQ specialist and burger lover, DJ BBQ (aka Christian Stevenson), to create five menu must-have American-style burger recipes:
1. Florida Classic Cuban Burger, a beef patty topped with pulled pork and Swiss cheese served in an Americana Gourmet Burger Bun.
2. Tennessee Hot Chicken Burger, a crispy chicken burger with a spicy tinge served in an Americana Gourmet Burger Bun.
3. Massachusetts Mac & Cheese Monkfish Burger, Mac & Cheese filling infused with lightly pan-fried Monkfish served in an Americana Gourmet Grill Marked Burger Bun.
4. Oklahoma Smash Burger, a smashed beef patty topped with sweet onions, smoky bacon and Monterey Jack cheese served in an Americana Gourmet Brioche Burger Bun.
5. Californian French Dip Burger, a classic Cheeseburger with caramelised onions, dunked in thick gravy served in an Americana Gourmet Brioche Burger Bun.
To ensure a premium offering when including these recipes on menus, operators must ensure they serve the burger in a gourmet bun. With 85% of consumers agreeing that it is vital that a quality burger is topped with a gourmet bun, it is clear that providing a premium bun not only makes a burger look top-notch but also enhances the overall taste of the burger.
Samantha Winsor, Marketing Manager, Lantmännen Unibake’s Americana brand, comments: “Burgers remain a firm menu favourite for customers when dining out, with 84% of consumers eating a burger at least once a month when dining out. In the current financial climate, we know customers are on the hunt for value for money and a treat for when they do spend. Our research shows an American-inspired gourmet burger topped with a premium bun will meet those needs. That’s why we teamed up with DJ BBQ to analyse our research and curate five new on-trend, sales-driving recipes to support and inspire operator’s burger menus – each influenced by the USA, from Tennessee to Oklahoma.”
“It’s clear that American burger influence is on the rise, with over 85% of consumers claiming they would at least sometimes consider ordering an American-style burger. We also know that 76% agree a quality gourmet burger is the mark of a good pub or restaurant, so we’ve paired each new recipe with one of our top-selling quality gourmet burger buns to provide the full premium experience for consumers and an easy opportunity for operators to maximise their burger sales, with a gourmet burger menu which is on trend.”
The research also reveals that consumer demand differs by region, and menus should be tailored accordingly to capitalise on demand:
• London: Londoners favour a Gourmet Brioche Bun (50%) paired with Tennessee Hot Chicken Burger filling (34%)
• East Midlands: Consumers in the East Midlands prefer a Gourmet Grill Marked Bun (41%) with a Florida Classic Cuban Burger filling (32%)
• East of England: Those ordering a burger in the East of England are most likely to choose a Gourmet Brioche Bun (45%) in the style of a Florida Classic Cuban Burger (27%)
• North East: The Americana burger desire in the North East is versatile, with consumers willing to opt for both a Gourmet Brioche Bun (37%) and Gourmet Grill Marked Bun (36%), inspired by either Florida Classic Cuban (27%) or Oklahoma Smash Burgers (27%)
• North West: Those dining out in the North West are likely to order a Gourmet Brioche Bun (47%) with an Oklahoma Smash Burger filling (35%)
• Northern Ireland: Customers ordering a burger in Northern Ireland would opt for a Gourmet Brioche Bun (50%) with an Oklahoma Smash Burger filling (33%)
• Scotland: Scottish customers are most likely to be on the hunt for a Gourmet Brioche Bun (56%) with an Oklahoma Smash Burger filling (35%)
• South East: Outlets in the South East should stock up on both Gourmet Brioche Buns (37%) and Gourmet Grill Marked Buns (37%), to be paired with an Oklahoma Smash Burger-style filling (33%)
• South West: Those ordering burgers in the South West would most likely tuck into a Gourmet Brioche Bun (44%) paired with Tennessee Hot Chicken Burger filling (33%)
• Wales: Wales’ diners prefer a Gourmet Grill Marked (33%) with Tennessee Hot Chicken Burger filling (33%)
• West Midlands: Operators in the West Midlands should provide both Gourmet Brioche Buns (42%) and Gourmet Grill Marked Buns (42%), to be paired with Tennessee Hot Chicken Burger filling (26%)
• Yorkshire and the Humber: This region would most likely opt for a Gourmet Grill Marked Bun (42%) combined with either Oklahoma Smash Burger filling (30%) or Florida Classic Cuban flavours (30%)
To ensure the highest quality additions to your menus, Americana provides a range of premium burger buns, including a Gourmet Brioche Bun, Gourmet Grill Marked Bun and a classic Gourmet Bun.